It’s impossible for a garage door to operate in absolute silence, but it shouldn’t sound excessively loud or grating when it’s operating. Your garage door may require some TLC if it frequently disturbs your entire household when you enter and exit.
We’ve got three tips that will make your garage door safer and quieter – and they’re also easy to follow.
1. Make sure your garage door parts are in good repair
There are rollers and tracks that make your garage door work quietly and smoothly. The metallic components can create an irritating grating sound when they move and scrape against each other when they are loose, worn, misaligned or damaged. A socket or adjustable wrench will allow you to tighten any loose nuts on the track. Keep in mind that none of these parts should be too tight.
Check that everything works. Like their name implies, rollers should roll along the tracks and not slid along them. To reduce excessive garage door noise, replace any worn-out or damaged parts. Having a pro handle the rollers and springs in the bottom brackets, as well as any adjustments that need to be made to the springs and drums, could lead to more serious problems.
2. Prepare the metal by lubricating it
Maintain your garage door’s metal parts by lubricating them regularly. Once a year or so should keep the noise at bay. There’s a bunch of lubricants you can use, but make sure you use one that’s made for metals. When lubricating, you should focus on these areas:
- Panel hinges
- Chain on the chain assembly
To remove any excess lubricant, wipe the areas gently with a rag after the lubrication process.
3. Simple swaps you can make
The more permanent changes to reduce the noise from your garage door can be made after you’ve tightened, adjusted, and lubricated the metal. Consider:
- Installing nylon rollers instead of steel rollers: By making this change, the operation will be quieter and smoother overall.
- Metal-reinforced rubber belts: Rubber belts can be used instead of steel chains for garage doors.
- Installing a noise isolator: This system eliminates a lot of the noise produced by vibrations occurring between the engine and the metal support in your ceiling.
We would be happy to assist you
You can get free estimates and full service from Brand Garage Doors while you’re working on your garage door. Whether you need a part maintained or repaired or require some help picking out a new garage door to replace or refresh your current one, the team will work with you to create a customized solution.
Brand Garage Doors
153 Oak Knoll Drive
Hubbard, Ohio 44425